27 March 2017
Tiny Advocacy Network News
As you may have heard, last week was a big week for local tiny house advocates here in Los Angeles!
Click here for a recap of what happened at City Hall.
With one victory down, we’ve got a few more to go, and we need to keep our momentum up! Our goal is to get a majority of council members in favor of the option to live in Movable Tiny Houses as Accessory Dwelling Units. To achieve this, we need your help!
If you want to see more options for legally living tiny in the Los Angeles Area, do at least one of the following…
1. Join in the conversation. This Thursday at 4 - 5 pm Pacific, we’ll be holding a California Tiny Advocacy Network conference call – please join in. We're expanding our reach beyond LA!
Call (605) 475 2875
Access code – 7850448
2. Call or email your Council member and their staff. Tell them you support Movable Tiny Houses in your neighborhood, and why. Click here for a handy sheet of contact information.
3. Tell your friends and family to support the ADU ordinance. The State of California now requires municipalities to allow Accessory Dwelling Units (backyard homes) in most residential areas, but some neighborhoods are still trying to stop them. This NIMBY (not-in-my-backyard) attitude will hurt creative ADU solutions like Movable Tiny Houses. Spread the love for ADUs and their huge potential for creating affordable housing AND support homeowners without dramatically changing the landscape of our neighborhoods.
4. Come out to the next hearing to make a public comment.
We’re not sure when this is going to council for a final vote, but if we know you’re interested, we will send you a VIP invite once we find out! You can also subscribe to the City’s Council File and get notices from them here.
5. Measure your backyard. Help us collect data on the number of yards in LA that could potentially host a Movable Tiny House! Enter in your data here.
FUN THINGS TO SEE AND DO!
Did you hear? Tiny House Expedition has released Part 2 of Living Tiny Legally!
A screening of the film is in the works – stay tuned!
PICNIC TIME! Feel like connecting to other affordable housing advocates in person? Abundant Housing LA is having a picnic this Sunday! Find the event information here.
LATCH Collective has announced their April Workshop Series
- April 8th - Team Build with Habitat for Humanity
- April 9th - Hands-On Electrical
- April 15th - Reading Architectural Plans
- April 22nd - Legally Living Tiny
- April 23rd - Hands-on Tiny House Build
- April 29th - Building on a Budget
- April 30th - Build a Bench Seat
If you would like to share news items or tiny house related events with this network, email firstname.lastname@example.org